Happy Day Before Christmas!! Over at our house, we are getting ready for all the late night festivities and with that, we are roasting chestnuts in the oven because we don’t have a fireplace, at least a wood burning one. These little beauties are so easy to roast and so satisfying to munch on. In our family, we pulled these babies out of the oven after dinner, put on a Christmas movie, make some hot chocolates, and enjoy them together.
First you want to preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Then using a very sharp knife, cut an ‘X’ into the shelled chestnuts.
Be very careful, the shell is slippery and you don’t want to include a trip to the ER this Christmas. Trust me there are long line ups at the hospital and you don’t want to spend your night hanging out with the nurses there, no matter how nice they are.
Place your chestnuts ‘X’ side up on a baking sheet and put them in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
Turn off your oven and let your chestnuts sit in the oven for 10 minutes.
Remove from chestnuts and while the chestnuts are still warm, begin peeling them. It’s a lot easier to do this when they are warm and not completely cooled. Then put them in a bowl and enjoy with hot chocolate and a movie!
- 1 lbs Chestnuts
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- Using a very sharp knife, cut an X into the shelled chestnuts. Be very careful, the shell is slippery and you don't want to include a trip to the ER this Christmas.
- Place your chestnuts 'X' side up on a baking sheet and put them in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Turn off your oven and let your chestnuts sit for 10 minutes.
- While the chestnuts are still warm, begin peeling them. It's a lot easier to do this when they are warm and not completely cooled.
I hope that you are enjoying your holidays and time spent with family. I want to take this time to wish you all a very merry Christmas, or whatever else you are celebrating this year. I hope your days are filled with laughter, joy and best wishes for the shiny new year!
Need more holiday recipes? Check these out
Check out these Holiday Favourites