It’s a week until Christmas Eve and our family is getting cozy by our faux fire with bowls of popcorn and mugs of Star Wars blue hot chocolate. We love spending time together during these cold winter months and our favourite thing to do is watch movies together. It’s not a difficult thing to find on television, we actually don’t have cable, we prefer watching Netflix and such, but if you turn on the television, most channels are filled with Christmas movies this time of year. But if you’re looking for some movies to cozy up to with your loved one here’s our list.
*This post also contains affiliate links. Meaning that if you click on the link and make a purchase I make a small commission. This doesn’t increase your cost or change your experience at all. All thoughts and opinions below are my own.*
Not all of these films are family-friendly but they are all entertaining and well watched in our home.
- It’s a Wonderful Life – This is my absolute favourite film this time of year. We have to watch it every year at the beginning of the season. It’s a feel good, warms the heart kind of film. Plus memorable quotes: “Everytime a bell rings, an angel gets his wings…”
- A Christmas Story – Another classic. We watch it every year while we trim the tree. It’s both corny and funny. Plus you’ll want to go out and find a good leg lamp…just saying
- Home Alone – Use to be entertaining…now as a parent it might be a horrible nightmare….funny, but scary.
- Die Hard – Not safe for young ones. but it’s not Christmas until we watch Hans Grubber fall off the Nakatomi Plaza..
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation – Another not safe for young ones
- Scrooged – This might be too scary for children. It’s an adult version of A Christmas Carol featuring Bill Murray with some adult language.
- The Santa Clause – Tim Allen as Santa Claus is surprisingly convinceable.
- Elf – After watching this film, I feel like my mouth fills with cavities. Sugared covered everything, with a childish elf.
- A Muppets Christmas Carol – Another version of A Christmas Carol, this time featuring The Muppets!!! Gonzo and Rizzo do a great job of narrating the tale that kids and parents will love to watch.
- Miracle on 34th Street – This is a remake of the original Miracle on 34th Street. It’ll leave you cheering for Santa Claus and looking to purchase an “I believe” button.
Have fun watching these classics. Do you think I missed any? What movies are you and your family watching this time of year?
Don’t forget to pin this, tweet it, and share it on facebook!