I’m always trying to find a way to make the foods I love, healthy but flavourful. The hardest time to do it though, it during any major holiday. I mean people get really attached to their favourite holiday comfort foods…like really attached…people like me…So I knew that if I was going to change the way I made sweet potato casserole, I had to make it good. I’m proud to say I found a way!! I cut out the refined sugars, minus the marshmallows. Common now, I couldn’t cut out the marshmallows, but I cut out the rest of the sugars which are usually added.
The first thing you’re going to need for any sweet potato casserole is, of course, the sweet potatoes. For this recipe, I used 4 medium-sized sweet potatoes. Wash, peel, and cut them into quarters then put them in a pot with water and bring to a boil. You’ll want to boil these until they are soft ever to stick a fork through with ease.
Next, preheat your oven to 400 degrees and spray a casserole dish. I used PAM butter spray. Set it aside. Drain your sweet potatoes. Now I’ll share the way I cut the refined sugars out, I used a can of diced pineapples. I drained the can of pineapples and adding the pineapples to the sweet potatoes. I also added nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice. I used my immersion blender to mash everything together. Transfer the mash to your casserole dish. Top with pecans and marshmallows.
Bake for 20mins or until the marshmallows brown a bit. Remove from the oven and enjoy the crap out of it. When I served this for Thanksgiving dinner, Wendy couldn’t get enough of it and I didn’t feel so bad feeding it to her. I was just a little disappointed that I didn’t make more of it…note to self for next time, double the recipe…
- 3-4 sweet potatoes, medium-sized peeled
- 1 can (398mL) of pineapple chunks
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup marshmallows
- Wash, peel, and cut your sweet potatoes into quarters then put them in a pot with water and bring to a boil. You'll want to boil these until they are soft ever to stick a fork through with ease. I boiled them for about 15-20 minutes, until really soft.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and spray a casserole dish. I used PAM butter spray. Set it aside.
- Drain your sweet potatoes
- Drain your can of pineapples and add the pineapples to the sweet potatoes.
- Now add the nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice.
- Mash and combine those ingredients together
- Transfer the mash to your casserole dish.
- Top with pecans and marshmallows.
- Bake in preheated oven for approximately 25 to 30 minutes, or until your marshmallows start to brown.
- Remove from oven and enjoy without guilt.
Do you have a recipe that you love and made a bit healthier? Comment below, I want to hear all the details!!
PS. Don’t forget to check out my other Thanksgiving posts for more yummy recipes and tablescape ideas!